Sketch references are used to capture design intent by snapping geometry or dimensioning to them.
• You can select the following types of entities:
– Existing geometry
– Datum features
• Press ALT to select entities and add them dynamically.
• Unused references automatically removed.
Figure 3 — The References Dialog Box
You use sketch references to snap sketch geometry to them, which can cut down the number of dimensions required. Sketch references are also used by the system for creating the initial weak dimensions and constraints. If further dimensions are required, you can dimension to or from sketch references.
Sketch references appear as dashed entities in the Sketcher.
When selecting entities from existing features, you create a parent/child relationship between the sketch and the entity you added as a reference.
However, if you add a sketch reference and it goes unused, the system automatically removes it as a sketch reference. Conversely, if you dimension to or from an entity the system automatically adds it as a sketch reference.
You can add sketch references in three different ways:
1. You can click References from the Setup group. This opens the References dialog box.
2. Right-click in the graphics window and select References. Again, this opens the References dialog box.
3. While sketching, you can add references on-the-fly by pressing ALT, highlighting the desired entity to add as a reference, and selecting it.
Pressing CTRL+ALT enables you to select multiple edges for multiple dynamically added references.
The References dialog box consists of the following items:
• Select References — Select entities in the graphics window. The following types of entities can be selected as sketch references:
– Existing geometry — Select the edges or surfaces of features that have already been created. You can also select silhouette edges
when the sketch is in the correct orientation. Silhouette edges are rounded surfaces that display as edges when the model is in the correct
– Sketches — Select geometry from existing sketches.
– Datum Features — Select datum planes, datum axes, points, and coordinate systems.
• Select Xsec References — Select a surface or datum plane to intersect with the sketching plane.
• Selection Filters — Used for selecting items within the Reference list.
Choices from the drop-down list include Use Edge/Offset, All Non-Dim.
Refs, Chain Refs, and All References.
• Replace — Select a reference from the list, click Replace, and select a new reference.
• Delete — Delete the selected reference from the list.
• Reference Status — Displays the status of the sketch with respect to references. Status options include Unsolved Sketch, Partially Placed, and
• Solve — You can solve an unsolved or partially placed sketch after changing references