|Mastercam’s selection mode is always active when you are not using a function such as creating geometry or analyzing an entity. The following are guidelines for selecting entities:
- Click an existing entity to select or deselect it. When selected, an entity is highlighted.
- To select multiple entities using the Single selection method, single click all the entities you want to select. Notice that selected entities are highlighted and remain highlighted, indicating selection. To deselect any one of the entities you have selected with this method, click it again.
- To select multiple entities using the Window selection method, click an area of the graphics window that is not directly on an entity, hold down the mouse button, and start to drag the mouse to anchor the first point. Then release the button and continue to draw a rectangular window around the entities you want to select. Click to set the final position. Mastercam selects all entities completely contained within the window.
- To select multiple entities using the Polygon selection method, choose Polygon from the Selection Methods drop-down list and click anywhere in the graphics window. This location will be the start point of the polygon. Continue by clicking points to create your desired shape. Close the polygon by double-clicking the last point or pressing the [Enter] key.
- To select entities using the Chain selection method, hold down the [Shift] key and select a single entity that is part of a chain of other entities. Alternatively, you can choose Chain from the Selection Methods drop-down list and click an entity that is connected to other entities. For example, clicking one side of a rectangle selects all four sides and clicking one line that is connected to another selects both lines.
- To select entities using the Partial Chain selection method, hold down the [Shift] key and select a single entity that is part of a chain of other entities. This first selection also specifies the chaining direction, so be careful where you click. Keeping the [Shift] key down, select the last entity in the chain.
- To select entities using the Vector selection method, hold down the [Alt] key, click the first point of the intended vector, and continue clicking points to draw lines through each of the entities you want to select. You can double click the last point or intersect the vector lines and let go of the [Alt] key to complete the vector selection. Alternatively, you can choose Vector from the Selection Methods drop-down list and draw a vector line through all the entities you want to select.
- To select multiple entities using the Area selection method, hold down the [Shift] key and click inside the outermost entity, but outside the inside entities. Alternatively, you can choose Area from the Selection Methods drop-down list and click inside the outermost entity, but outside the inside entities. Note: Make sure that your cursor is not close enough to an entity to highlight it before you click.
- To unselect currently selected entities, while at the same time selecting all unselected entities, click the Invert Selection button in the General Selection ribbon bar.
- To reselect the entity (or entities) selected for the previous operation, click the Select Last button in the General Selection ribbon bar.
Note: Left-click a selection method to choose it for a single selection event. Right-click a method to lock it for multiple selections.
Note: To finalize multiple-entity selections, press [Enter], or click the End Selection button in the ribbon bar. Note, however, that you can end a series of selections by double-clicking the last entity of the selection. For example, to select three lines using the single selection method, click the first two lines. Then double-click the third line to end the selection process. (The double-click method does not work with polygon and vector selections, which instead use the double-click to complete the polygon or vector.)
- Choose the All button to open the Select All dialog box and click the All Entities bar at the top of the dialog. The dialog box closes, and Mastercam selects all entities.
- Use Quick Masks to control the masking-selection mode with a single mouse click.
- To unselect all entities, choose the UnSelect All button. To unselect one or more entities (but not all), re-select each entity you want to unselect. If Mastercam is at the root level (that is, not inside a function), you can also press [Esc] to unselect all entities.