Smart Engraving allows the user to input a selection of Roughing (End Mill) and Engraving (V Shaped) tools, which create a series of efficient toolpaths within the defined vector selection ultimately producing the required engraved form. Different machining parameters and tool settings can be applied to each toolpath from within the Smart Engraving options. For small detail it is possible to run Smart Engraving with one ‘V’ shaped tool. In applications where more than tool is defined the secondary toolpath operations only remove material that is inaccessible to the previous toolpath.
Smart Engraving Example
- Open the model arch.art from D:\users\training\ArtCAM Data
The Smart Engraving options provide for finishing of sharp internal corners for the finishing tooplaths using the ‘V’ Cutters.
The selected vector is the top edge of the detail. The option to offset the End Mill for the engraving tool (it leaves additional material on) is used to give the v-bit finish tool some material on each side to cut out, to balance the loading on the v-bit tool.
- Select the inner feature vector as shown above.
- Select the toolpaths tab and in 2D Toolpaths select Smart Engraving.
- Input Start Depth 0 and Finish Depth 5.
- Set Max Sharpening Angle as 150 degrees.
- Tick – Vectors are on surface.
- Tick – Offset end mills for engraving tools.
- Set Machine SafeZ as 5 and Home Position 0 0 5.
- Add Dia 6 and Dia 3 End Mills, along with a Small V-Bit 12mm 90 Degree tool.
Note: the V Bit tool will have to be copied and edited within the Tool Database from an existing stored tool.
- A 0.1 stock Allowance on the final profiling pass has been assigned to the operations using the End Mill 6mm tool.
Note: Several of the parameters can be defined independently for the specific tool selected (highlighted) in the form.
- Set the Material Thickness to 25.4mm with the Z0 datum at the top.
The machining calculations will take the vector to be the top edge of the chamfered detail.
- For the End Mill 6mm tool set the tool Stepover to 4mm and the Stepdown to 5mm.
- For the End Mill 3mm tool set the tool Stepover to 0.5mm and the Stepdown to 1mm.
- For the Small V-Bit 12mm 90degrees tool set the tool Stepover to 0.1mm and the Stepdown to 5mm.
- Select Calculate Now to generate 2 Area Clearance, and 1 engraving, within the collectively named [Smart Engraving] toolpaths.
- Close the form.
All of the 3 toolpaths created by the Smart Engraving options are displayed and could all be simulated at the same time. It would however be better to simulate them one at a time to see more clearly what each one is actually machining.
End Mill 6mm tool
This Operation performs Area Clearance on the whole aperture to full depth (less than the Stepdown value).
End Mill 3mm tool
This Operation performs Area Clearance on areas inaccessible to the larger End Mill. In the small enclosure at the tip the 1mm stepdown causes machining to occur at several Z descending Levels.
Small V-Bit 12mm 90degree tool
With corner sharpening on, the tool will ramp along internal corner intesections to produce the sharpened shape.
- Select the 2D view and select the four triangular vectors and the text arch.
As these are only small indentations only one v-bit tool will be rquired.
- Select Engraving.
- Select a Start Depth of 0 and a Finish Depth of 3mm. Set tolerance as 0.01.
- Select the Small v-bit 6mm 90 degrees tool.
- Change the Stepdown to 3mm.
- Select Do Corner Sharpening.
- Press Calculate Now and then Close.
- Simulate the toolpath.
Small V-Bit 12mm 90degree tool
All the small detail has created in a separate Smart Engrave operation with a single V-Bit tool.
Machine Along Vector
This 2D Toolpaths option directly traces along the selected vectors to a user defined depth. A typical application would to mark a scribe line around the outside of a component form.
- Select the outer vector.
- Select the toolpaths tab and in 2D Toolpaths select Machine Along Vector.
- Input a Finish Depth of 1
- Select a Ball Nose 1.5 mm tool.
- Select Calculate Now.
The outer limit of the component has been ‘scribed’ with the Dia 1.5 Ball Nosed tool.
- Save the Model as:-
- Select Close.