Now that you have reviewed the parameters of the mechanical systems that exist, you will now learn how to apply them in a simple exercise:
1. Open the Chapter9_Dataset.rvtfile found at www.sybex.com/go/
2. Download the Supply Diffuser – Perforated – Round Neck – Ceiling Mounted.rfafamily. Next choose Insert Load Family, browse to where you have downloaded the family, and click Open (see Figure 9.9).
3. Now download VAV_SingleDuct_4-16inch_break object styles.rfalocated at www .sybex.com/go/masteringrevitmep2012, and insert it into your model (see Figure 9.10).
4. After downloading all of your components, you will want to place the diffuser onto the ceiling shown in the 1 – Ceiling Mech view. Because this family is a face-based family, it will automatically attach to the ceiling surface. Make sure to select Place On Face located
under Modify Place Air Terminal. If you don′t, the diffuser will try to attach to the wall (see Figure 9.11).
Selecting a supply
Loading a VAV
5. Once you have placed some diffusers, use the Mechanical Equipment tool on the Home tab to place the downloaded VAV box above the ceiling at an elevation of 10′0″. You can adjust the elevation by changing the elevation offset in the properties (see Figure 9.12). It is important to set the elevation prior to placement if you are in a reflected ceiling plan view, or you may not see the VAV box when it is placed.
offset for the
6. Now that the VAV box and diffusers are in place, you will want to make them part of a system. Select a diffuser and click the Duct button on the Create Duct Systems panel of the Modify | Air Terminals contextual tab (see Figure 9.13). This activates a dialog box that allows you to choose the System Type and to assign a name to the system.
7. Once you have made the system by clicking OK, the Modify | Duct Systems contextual tab is active on the Ribbon. Click the Edit System button. Select Add To System, and select the other air terminals (see Figure 9.14).
8. Now click the Select Equipment button, and select the VAV box to be the equipment for your system. Click the Finish Editing System button to complete the system.
9. With the system created, select any of the diffusers in the System Browser, as indicated in Figure 9.15. Notice that this selection also selects the appropriate diffuser in the drawing area. This feature, new to Revit MEP 2012, gives you greater control and manageability of objects.
Now that you have created your system, you can route your ductwork and it will take on the characteristics of the system parameters you set up. Understanding how to make mechanical systems will offer you the benefit of being able to create any duct system you may need for
your design. For further instruction on how to route ductwork, refer to Chapter 10, ″Mechanical
Systems and Ductwork.