The 3D sketch environment is available in part files only (.ipt). Create a part in an assembly to use the location of other components in a 3D sketch.
- Determine the purpose of the sketch and create it in the correct environment. For example, a wire route references multiple components. Create the 3D sketch in the active part file of an assembly to reference component placement.
- Consider placing work points or sketch points to locate the 3D sketch pick points.
- Create the 2D cross section in a 2D sketch and then create the centerline or sweep path in a 3D sketch.
- Click anywhere in 3D space to place a point.
- Click anywhere in 3D space to place a line or spline segment.
- Right-click a point and use 3D Move/Rotate to position the sketch geometry.
- Use a Coincident Constraint to attach 3D curve endpoints.
- Turn off the visibility of dimensions or sketches for clarity.
- Use the Construction command to change reference geometry to construction geometry.